A creed for all Americans
- I believe in my country and the principles upon which it was founded . . . "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- I will not barter the freedoms my country guarantees. Rather I would join with my forefathers and proclaim . . ."I know not what courses others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death".
- I will learn all that I can about my American heritage so that I can share it with others, and pass it on to future generations.
- I will keep myself informed and prepared, so I can help my country meet the challenges of the present and promise of tomorrow.
- I will guard and cherish my right to vote as my most valued possession.
- I will do everything within my power to make America strong and vibrant, a nation that is admired and respected by peoples everywhere.
- I will respect the rights of all who live within its borders.
- I will extend the hand of hospitality to all who come in friendship to my country’s shores, and when I visit other lands I will always conduct myself in a manner that will be a credit to it.
- I will faithfully perform all my duties of my citizenship.
- I will cheerfully fulfill any service my country may ask of me to insure . . ."this government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth".
~ Samuel A. Montegue ~